Saturday 18 August 2007

Didn't we have a lovely time the day we went to Brighton!

Brighton famed for its Pier,rock the Pavilion, great architecture and the lanes.

Chocolate, Roses , Cake .......... yes.......YES........... !


Off I went to Brighton yesterday with all my girls. We decided to go by train to save the hassle of parking. Well I haven't been on a train for years and now its all new. No slam doors, (my problem there is what if the system has a glich and the doors don't open at your station - yeesss, I go on to the next station der....). The seats are different too, individual seats now, (I preferred the triple seats ..... y' know .... like the Harry Potter train), and they give you 3 tickets now instead of one - a receipt, a single up and a return back. Seems like a bit of a waste of trees to me??? I prefer the good ole fashioned one ticket.

Added to that I didn't realise until I put my single ticket in the machine and proceeded to hold everyone up at the turn bar waiting for my ticket......that it wasn't coming back.
Next we all went off to the loo at the station, the machines have replaced the old lady that sits with her little dish collecting your small change.

IS NOTHING SACRED!!!!
Oh well having been bought swiftly up to date into the 21st century we set off. Luckily it is down hill to the town. We headed off to the lanes and the first place we came across was this gorgeous cake shop. Out of this world and to add to that inside the shop was a huge plate of chocolate cake for you to sample. Way over the top cakes for all. Absolutely Fabulous Darling!!!



The place is called Choccywoccydoodah ....oooo yess Whooorar :)) I LOVE IT!!

They have one shop in London and 2 in Brighton ...... lucky Brighton.
We went off in the direction of the North Lanes but took a slight detour to show the girls this beautiful Brighton Pavilion in all its glory.

The Royal Pavilion was originally built in the 1780s when the Prince Regent (who became King George IV) built a villa for his mistress Mrs Fitzherbert. This original villa was simple in style, designed by architect Henry Holland. But as the Prince's flamboyant taste grew, he then commissioned John Nash to rebuild it in a more extravagant style - and the Royal Pavilion is the result. A bizarre mix of influences, most notably Chinese and Indian, the Pavilion is a unique piece of architecture and well worth a visit if your ever visit Brighton.




Once I found myself back in the lanes we found some gorgeous little shops including this place (picture from their website) The Lavender Room.








Firstly it smells divine as you walk around and they play some great music too, it sets the scene for some tranquil shopping and I just had to bring the smell home with me.

NO SMELLY VISION ....... SORRY ...... BUT TAKE MY WORD FOR IT. ......
What makes this shop so special is that they have selection of vintage goods mixed in with new, beautiful boudoir night gowns from the 40's mixed in with new, vintage rhinestone brooches, some furniture too, lots of little gifts. It is so lovely and the girl that served us was very sweet wrapped up my goodies beautifully and recommended a great place for Lunch called Bills.

Bills looks like it was as old warehouse and Wow, from the road it looks like a big fruit and veg stall. If you walk behind the stall you will find a huge busy place, decorated like an old refectory with an open kitchen. They create the most artistic salads I have ever seen and have a great selection of pies, tarts and cakes, oh and even the smoothies were beautifully made and presented. We sat up on the balcony, high above the hustle and bustle, so had a great view of the food counter:)))


















If you carry on down the lanes there are various individual shops, one quite arty textile shop - selling some great Jan Constantine cushions. I love the tactile cushions from her latest range which is called Pop Art - see her work at http://janconstantine.com/popart/index.htm . The shop had a lovely collection of textile artists with wall art and felted jewellery - but don't stick your great big boot in and say in a completely innocent way Oh it's all gorgeous but I could make that at home ..... OH BIG NO NO - I should have known better - I hate people saying that to me ..... I could just feel the eyes of fire piercing into me .... I tried to claw my way out of the rubble with some conversation and am glad to say I live to tell this tale.

I found a great old fashioned friendly Indian fabric shop - their window was crammed with ribbons, feathers, millinery and fabrics. I could have spent a fortune in there. I would show you it all but am saving it for a project that I am working on .... soon:)


Well the girls wanted to get back to the high street shops and off we went ugggg .......... I hate high street shops but I did lovvvve the Disney shop. After all that we picked up some cold icy drinks and walked back to the station . I came home to find hubby had made us all a great dinner.
Then ending the day as one should ........... with a big bubbly.

21 comments:

~Becca~Bluebird Rose said...

It sounds like an absolutely lovely time, and I thank you for *taking us* along with you. I thoroughly enjoyed the trip!
:)

Ragged Roses said...

You've just visited all my favourite shops! choccywoccydoodah is our idea of heaven, we get birthday cakes from there (only the small ones!). Lavender is gogeous and I've got the smelly roses all over my house - just perfect. Bill's is fantastic, if you ever go over to Lewes, they've got one there too! Glad you enjoyed Brighton!
Kim x

Natasha Burns said...

Ginny I love your photos and stories! I have finally caught myself up on your adventures! Wow what finds you got in Paris, oh everything looks so wonderful! And your cake shop in Brighton!!! It's all just too delicious!!!

Monica said...

Wow looks like a fun filled day in Brighton!
I am lovingthe name of the cake shop, how fun and the cakes lok divine.

Laume said...

Lovely pic of the pier. Thanks for the virtual visit to Brighton. I didn't make it there on our trip to the UK last year. I was intrigued by your comments about the trains. Having only new experiences with your trains, not old ones, I didn't know that things were new. I actually spent quite a few times traveling by train as a child, not something common in the US, and I have really fond memories of them. I loved using the trains in the UK and was surprised to at your comment that you hadn't been on them recently. I sort of got the impression apparently that all you Brits used the trains regularly. I know I would if we had such a great system.
Moving on - by high street shops, you simply mean the shops on high street? Any high street? Why do you dislike them - too touristy? Too busy? And what are "lanes"? Well, aren't I the question girl today.

Miss*Laurence said...

What a nice day out, Brighton is full of surprises! I really loved the perfumed shop!

Anonymous said...

What a lovely day out Ginny and a great name for that cake shop!

Lavender sounds divine - just my kind of shop. I haven't been to Brighton for years and it sounds to have changed a lot since my last visit (about 23 years ago!)

Marie x

Lallee said...

I've always heard how wonderful Brighton is. Now I can SEE that it is. That cake!!!! Good heavens it is something else! And the name of the shop. LOL I can imagine writing that out on a check. It sure is fun to say. I want to go there!!!! Oh and wasn't Mr. Fitzherbert in Bridget Jones Diary ;-) (couldn't resist)

Heather ~ Pretty Petals said...

Ginny...what a fun time you have had! I have never been on a train...can you believe that? I mean I have been on the little kiddie ones at the parks and things...but never a real live train! I think it was a great idea to do that.

the cakes, oh my!! xo Heather

Deb said...

Oooooo, what a lovely day, and I'm so glad you took me with you! I loved the pictures and the history of the beautiful pavillion.
Hugs,
Deb
Lavender Rose

Vintage to Victorian said...

Hi Ginny

I'm with you on the train thing! Shall get a surprise if I venture forth - especially after our jolly trip on the steam train back in March!

How Brighton's changed since I was last there circa 1980 - think it's time to pay another visit somehow!

Sue x

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

I feel a trip to Brighton coming on.....

ShabbyInTheCity said...

Look at those smoothies!!!
And what you said about making that at home...I think we've all made that mistake!
"is nothing sacred" Ha! Really.

Victoria May Plum said...

Wow what a cake! yum yum. Sounds like you had a fabulous time. Brighton looks like the place to be for a fun filled shopping day, with a little culture thrown in of course!
Victoria x

Niki Fretwell said...

Hi Ginny,
Thanks for the tour.
Sounds like you and the girls had a fabulous time.....
(And you have a hubby that cooks!!)

Look forward to seeing what you create from the Indian treasures!

Niki x

Betty said...

What a wonderful day!! I loved the virtual shopping trip and oh my goodness...that cake!!

Clare and Mike said...

Hi Ginny,

Brighton is one of my favourite places - we spent a weekend there near Christmas a couple of years ago. It was so magical walking around the lanes - it even snowed! They have THE best veggie restaurant called Terre a Terre - a huge, bustling place - a must to visit.

Looks like you had a wonderful holiday in France and came back with some lovely things!

Clare x

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

You are so lucky to live close to such a wonderful place. That cake shop is divine!!! Thank you for giving me a tour.

Sea Angels said...

Hi Ginny, so many memories, I lived in Brighton, at the bottom of Preston St, (just across from the pier), before they built all those resturants there. I'm so glad you had a fab day out, it shows in your photo's which are stunning.
Re the wool jumpers, always use an acid dye on wool, you can also use a cold water procion MX dye, a company called Kemtex based in Chorley sell them in small quantites, it's good for fleece as well, you can dye the fleece without felting it,as you are using warm not hot water, plus salt and soda ash it's cheap and works.
Can't wait for the cup cakes xxxLynn

Anita said...

Ohhhhh, how nice! I've been to Brighton a couple of years ago, the city is just lovely! It was the first time that I saw such a pier!

I really would love to go there again some day... but not only to Brighton, of course! I'd love to visit all your wonderful gardens, too!

Best wishes from Germany,
Anita

P.S.: I am looking forward to starting many new sewing project in autumn! -))

blessings said...

I'm just drooling over all of it! Blessings... POlly